The Thai tourist visa was created for people who wish to visit Thailand for the purposes of tourism. Not all tourists need a Thai tourist visa as Thailand does grant a 30 day Visa on Arrival (VOA) to certain countries citizens. If you are now crossing over a land border then you only get 15 days visa on arrival. That means that you get 30 days when you step off the plane or cross the border into Thailand. If you plan on staying in Thailand as a tourist for more than 30 days, it is best for you to obtain a Thai tourist visa. This visa is valid for 60 days.
The tourist visa can, however, be extended for another 30 days without leaving the country by having the tourist visa extended at Thai Immigration. These fees do change as at present the extension costs 1,900 Baht (7 July 2008). It does take a while at Thai immigration to have this visa extended and you can expect to wait at least a few hours so if you are doing the extension yourself – go very early.
Thailand Tourist Visa
This visa is applicable to those wanting to enter Thailand for up to 60 days for the purposes of tourism.
Tourist Visa Requirements:
- You will need your passport and this passport must be valid for at least another 6 months for the visa to be issued;
- The Tourist Visa application form has to be completed in full as required;
- You also need a recent photograph (passport size) for the tourist visa;
- You also need a fully paid and confirm airline ticket reflected when you leave;
- You must be financially able to travel and have access to at least 20,000 Baht;
- The officers at the consulate or embassy may require extra documents.
BE aware of the 90-day rule as Thailand has stopped the abuse of the Thai tourist visa by those living in Thailand on perpetual tourist visas.
Thai Tourist Visa Validity
The tourist visa is valid for a period of between 3 and 6 months and has to be used within 90 to 180 days once issued. Most embassies no longer issue multiple entry tourist visas so you have to use the tourist visa before its expiration date which is printed on the visa.
Some Thai embassies will not issue visas to certain countries residents unless they apply for their tourist visa in their home countries. These countries are as follows:
- Palestinian States
- Nepal and
- Sri Lanka
Citizens from the above mentioned countries can only obtain a Thai tourist visa in their home countries as the Thai consulates and embassies in Asia will not issue them a tourist visa.